Buying instructions for water pumps
Water pumps are used to transport large quantities of water from one place to another. However, these pumps are also useful for a variety of household, industrial or agricultural applications. For example, a water pump is ideal for:
- Drainage of water from a flooded cellar.
- Drainage and filling of a pool, pond or jacuzzi.
- Drainage of low-flooded areas.
- Irrigation for agricultural or lawn maintenance purposes.
- Distribution of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Other types of tasks, including construction.
That’s why we have to make sure what exactly we need before we purchase a pump. At Aiguapres, we offer you guidelines on how to properly purchase water pumps to support you making the right decision.
How does a water pump work?
Irrespective of the type of water pump, the operation is very simple:
Usually, the water is pumped from point A to point B. Point A can be a river, a cellar or a well…. and point B can be a garden, a sewage pipe or a house.
To transport the water, it is sucked in by the pump itself (submersible motorisation) or via a suction line when the water pump is on the surface. The pumped water is discharged via a drain line.
Each water pump consists of a motor with a rotor that drives one or more turbines (or water wheels) that allow suction and discharge.
Power, pressure and flow are proportional to each other and vary according to pumping requirements.
The pump can be powered either electrically (single-phase or three-phase) or by fuel (two-stroke or four-stroke engine). Electric pumps include, for example, those that are supplied with solar energy.
What are the different types of water pumps?
Depending on whether you are pumping water from a well, emptying a flooded basement, improving your house’s sanitation or irrigating an orchard, you may need a different type of water pump. The selection of pumps seems to be endless:
- Centrifugal pumps make it possible to collect and drain water from the place where it is at that moment. They can be used for flood irrigation or to dry out excavations.
- Compressed air pumps are used to build up pressure in water-carrying circuits, such as a domestic installation.
- On the other hand, drainage pumps are used to pump dirty water and reduce water in flooded areas such as cellars or garages.
- Submersible pumps are found at the bottom of more than 8 m deep wells and transport the water to the surface.
- There are also other types of pumps such as pool pumps or recirculating pumps for heating circuits.
What are the key features of water pumps?
When purchasing water pumps, the key characteristics of the water pumps must also be taken into account:
- Flow: indicates the amount of water discharged in a given time, expressed in liters per minute (l / min) or cubic meters per hour (m3 / h), where 6m3 / h is equivalent to 100l / min.
- Pressure: measures the thrust of water; however, it should be noted that pressure and flow are closely related: At the same flow rate, a pipe with a small cross-section produces more pressure than a larger cross-section.
- Spill height: The spill height is defined as the difference in height between the point from which the water is pumped and the point to which it is discharged.
- Delivery Height: The delivery height defines the maximum depth from which a specific pump can draw water, either surface or submersible.
- Water quality: the quality of the water has to be analysed very carefully, otherwise both the pump and the motor can be damaged. The types of water are divided into three different categories according to their granular passage also called granulometry:
- “Clean water” can contain particles up to 5 mm in diameter.
- “Charged water” can contain particles or suspended matter up to 20 mm.
- “Highly charged water” can contain particles up to 25 mm.
Water pump materials
The design of the pump and the materials used to build a water pump are key factors for safe and long-lasting operation. Pump casing, motor body, shaft and turbine are esential factors and should be checked before purchasing water pumps.
Last Tip Before Buying Water Pumps
The most important thing when buying water pumps is to seek expert advice. For this reason, you should always use official distributors such as Aiguapres. In this way you will find water pumps of the best brands on the market and will not have any negative surprises.